Less than 100!

Marriage and children are only compatible with popular tv shows and movies.  There's no space for weirdo movies, classics, horror, suspense, or nudity.  While there's plenty of decent, wide releases that I still see, anything film history is either inaccessible or just not appealing to the entire family.  We watch a lot of middling cartoons, reality TV such as The Bachelor, or food shows with Gordon Ramsay.  Some of it's fun, but rarely does anything strike me or inspire creativity.  The kids are not gonna go bonkers to watch Aguirre (1972), Stalker (1979) or Barry Lyndon (1975), at least not before the age of 10!

In the spirit of love for all the thousands of great movies I used to see in my bachelor days, I set myself the task of compiling the older or missed classics I'd always wanted to see - shooting for one hundred.  Foreign films didn't really make the list as I can barely keep track of domestic, mainstream releases.  It's going to be a male, white list for sure.  That's OK, gotta start somewhere and this was a great thought-exercise.  I've written a short reason for wanting each film, or films by a particular creator. Just seeing the movie poster for each film has been fun.  I hope to report back with my findings for what was good, bad, or inspiring!  

Supporting our amazing Seattle video store Scarecrow Video, was also an inspiration.  From there I recently I watched Point Break, The Mask, and Scanners, all of which felt like inspired, creative movies.  I also hope to clear up a few "blind spots" in cinema from silent movies to 1980s horror. 

So, without fanfare, here's my Less than 100!   This could take a few years to complete - so see you at the finish line mid-decade!

The General (1926) - Rotten Tomatoes
A Buster Keaton Movie - This may be kind of a silly motivation, but Keaton was a huge influence on Jackie Chan - and I love some Jackie Chan a la Police Story (1985) or Drunken Master (1978).  That's ok, it'll be great to see where the magic originated.  I can easily imagine Buster Keaton's hangdog face, even if I haven't seen him in action.  As a silent movie, is it too old fashioned in the 21st century, a movie from a hundred years ago?  Likely to be Sherlock Jr. (1924) or The General (1926).

Halloween (2007 film) - Wikipedia
Halloween (2007) by Rob Zombie -  Recently I saw the most recent Halloween movie, which has Jamie Lee Curtis but jettisoned many sequels worth of story, I guess.  It was fine.  Later I watched the original again, which had more creative ideas and sly music than the new one.  There was some positive vibe about the Rob Zombie version so I can't wait to check it out!  It's possible I'm a prude and a Rob Zombie production may be too wild for my pedestrian tastes.  The dude is out there!

The Enemy Below (1957) - IMDb
Missed Submarine Movies - I'm a sucker for a submarine movie!  It's kind of like a Western these days - made so infrequently that it's obligatory to give it a shot.  So many wonderful submarine movies in my mind: K-19, Hunt for Red October, Das Boot, Crimson Tide.  Even the recent Hunter Killer (2018) with Gerard Butler was fun.  There's a sub movie out there starring David Duchovny on my mind.  A Kelsey Grammar comedy, Down Periscope?  Still, I'm going to dig further back in time for this category:  The Enemy Below (1957), Run Silent-Run Deep (1958), Ice Station Zebra (1968).  Gee, it looks like there's also one I missed with Jude Law called Black Sea (2014).

Sammo Hung List of Movies and TV Shows - TV Guide
Sammo Hung - So, not sure if I've ever seen a Sammo Hung movie.  He was already old by the time he was in some American TV show Martial Law that looked bad.  Most recently he was in an Ip Man movie fighting on a spinning table.  Just writing that sounds like an irresistible event, and it was!  Ok, so was Sammo that great back in the day?  Did his movies just not make it to a U.S. audience like Jackie Chan?  Was he fat, always, or is it pure muscle?  Can't wait to find out.  The films I'm looking for:  Encounters of the Spooky Kind (1980), Wheels on Meals (1984), Eastern Condors (1987)

Amazon.com: The Searchers (50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition): John  Wayne: Movies & TV
John Wayne movies -  Seen some here or there but it's hard to remember one that I've sat through the whole thing.  He seems to have an even narrower range than Clint Eastwood in his man-with-no-name movies that catapulted him to fame.  So, what's up with John Wayne?  Just a "man's man" of pure testosterone?  Have we grown cynical of dudes who shot up the "Injuns" and carried women off unwillingly? The answer is YES, but let's give the ol' cowboy John Wayne a shot.  The films I'm considering:  The Searchers, Stagecoach, True Grit

The Great Dictator - Wikipedia
A Charlie Chaplin movie - The only one I know is The Gold Rush (1925).  For whatever reason my grandparents had that on VHS and I watched it in Albuquerque as a child one summer.  It was funny; I think he ate his own shoes.  Criterion has put out a bunch of his stuff and it always piques my interest. The films I'm considering:  The Great Dictator, Modern Times, City Lights

Porky's - Wikipedia
Porky's (1982) - I remember seeing this and the sequel at the video store when I was a kid.  It had a funny cover, something like a peeping eye looking at a woman's leg.  It's like many sex comedies I suspect -  you just don't get the sex jokes until you're a grown up.  I've never read about this movie, nor seen any images.  It'll be a surprise.  I'm tempted to look it up on the internet right now... but it would ruin the surprise.  Another movie I remember from the VHS era was MASH since I'd only seen the TV show.  As a grown-up you also learn the theme for MASH was "Suicide Is Painless" wow, that's messed up!  Thanks Robert Altman, guess I'll watch this sex comedy Porky's!  So good there was a sequel, never gonna be MASH 2.

The Fly (1986 film) - Wikipedia
The Fly (1986) - This one has always looked creepy to me.  I feel like it may have come out in the mid to late eighties.  The idea of someone turning into part fly is inherently yucky.  Of course, it's a David Cronenberg film, so that means the body horror will be genuinely uncomfortable since the protagonist will genuinely lose humanity.  People also compare me to Jeff Goldblum.  Recently I saw Scanners (1981) and it did not disappoint!

Carrie (1976) - IMDb
Carrie (1976) - I came to know Brian de Palma later, presumably when he was no longer at the peak of his powers like Snake Eyes.  I'd love to see the context of the bloodied Sissy Spacek image we all know so well.  I've been curious about the reamake (2013) too, which garnered some positive press.

Amazon.com: Y Tu Mama Tambien 27 x 40 Movie Poster - Style A: Lithographic  Prints: Posters & Prints
Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001) - The first wave of new Mexcian cinema in the early 00s by Alfonso Cuaron that also brought us Guillermo del Toro and Alejandro Inarritu.  I knew this had sex in it at the time and I was too prudish to view.  Even good reviews can't overcome sex-anxiety

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) - IMDb
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)- My friend Christian says it's disappointing I haven't seen this while having unfortunately seen the remake (2008) with my pal Keanu Reeves.  Clearly the earth people are going to screw up First Contact, regardless of the decade.

Friday the 13th (1980 film) - Wikipedia
Friday the 13th (1980)- Ok, so slasher films were not really my genre but it seems important to see the most influential films that have happened during my lifetime.  I only recall sequel after sequel through my childhood until the series and character became a total joke.  I bet the original still has some spark!  Jason, show us how it began!

A Nightmare on Elm Street - Wikipedia
Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)- Ditto.  Maybe I'll recognize Johnny Depp.  Would love to see these movies before they became jokes.  I'm excited to see Robert England as Freddie in his trademark striped sweater!

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein - Wikipedia
Abbott and Costello Frankenstein (1948) - Looks funny!  I must have seen an Abbott and Costello film at some point, but never as an adult.  Recently I watched Young Frankenstein with the kids.  Ol' Frankie or the Monster, and various mad doctor-scientists remain present throughout pop culture.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963) - IMDb
It's a Mad Mad Mad World (1963) - This is one of those movies with a zillion famous actors and silly cameos.  It's probably terrible but charming.  I always loved Cannonball Run, and this looks like this is an earlier race/chase comedy.

Being There (1979) - IMDb
Being There (1979) - Maybe I should have put Pink Panther but I'm pretty sure I've seen that Peter Sellars one already.  This is one of those movies that's supposed to be important or meaningful about an ordinary person who becomes extraordinary.  Maybe the director is famous?  Ok, so that's why it's a blind spot.  Guess we'll find out what the big deal is.

House Party (film) - Wikipedia
House Party (1990) - Er... I'm not exactly the audience for movies about young black people getting their party on, but it always just looked fun!  

Scary Movie - Wikipedia
Scary Movie (2000) -  I loved all the Scream movies but was too smug and humorless to see this spoof, which has apparently spawned six entries!  They must be doing something right, right?

The Ladykillers - Wikipedia
Ladykillers (1955) - Another classic comedy!  A remake with Tom Hanks (2004) was a commercial and critical thud a few years back, reminding people to go back to the source material.  I never did, so perhaps now is the time is now.  I love some pre-Star Wars Ale Guinesss!

The Lady Eve - Wikipedia
Lady Eve (1941) - Ditto, minus the remake bit.  A rare romance on the list.

Amazon.com: The Philadelphia Story: Philip Barry, George Cukor, Donald  Ogden Stewart, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, James Stewart, Cary Grant, Katharine  Hepburn, Ruth Hussey, John Howard, Roland Young, John Halliday, Mary Nash,  Virginia Weidler,
Philadelphia Story (1940) - Ditto, probably been remade?  To get Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart in the same movie is already a success.  And it's good?!  Sign me up!

The Thin Man (film) - Wikipedia
The Thin Man (1934) - Ditto, looking forward to this one!  Don't know anything but it spawned a series of sequels with fun names.

A Night at the Opera (film) - Wikipedia
A Night at the Opera (1935) - I know nothing about this movie, nor remember why it made it to the must-see list!  Ok, duh, it's a Mark Brothers movie.  Gonna be great!

Pale Rider - Wikipedia
Pale Rider (1985) - I think there's a few blank spots in my Clint Eastwood western knowledge.  Here's one!  I've always loved the poster with the burnt orange color.  When I was a kid in the late 80s my brother and his friends watched a lot of Westerns.  I hoped that some day I'd have teen friends like that... never happened!



Shane (1953) - some famous Western, does this have Eastwood?  Guess, not but Alan Ladd is in it and I've always been curious about him.  This British band Baby Bird has a song about him.

Amazon.com: 3:10 to Yuma: Glenn Ford, Van Heflin, Felicia Farr, Richard  Jaeckel, Delmer Daves, David Heilweil, Columbia Pictures: Movies & TV
3:10 to Yuma (1957) - So I really liked the remake with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, so this must be even better.  Written by Elmore Leonard, whom I think might be the antithesis of Terrence Mallick (down below). 

French Connection II (1975) Original French Movie Poster - Original Film  Art - Vintage Movie Posters
French Connection 2 (1975) - I heard this was as good as the original.  Gene Hackman ("Popeye" in the movie!) at the height of his every-guy appeal, conquering insurmountable odds to stop Crime!  Directed by John Frankenheimer!

Taking of Pelham 123 (1974) - I saw the bleh movie with Denzel Washington and John Travolta, so there's nowhere to go but up.  Was the remake a Tony Scott movie?!  I know nothing about the original.  I love seeing the NYC of this era in movies.  New York looked like a tough place to be.

Badlands (1973) - Rotten Tomatoes
Badlands (1973) or Days of Heaven (1978) - I've only seen Terrence Malick's films after Thin Red Line (1998).  It's fine and boring.  Let's be honest about these recent films: bucolic waving grass and breathy voice-overs covering up for the lack of a screenplay!   They never seem as meaningful to me as they do most critics.  I'm  hoping that early work lives up to the myth created by this now-reclusive director.  The recent work so relies on wide angle tracking shots as in The New World (2005) that I'd be interested to see if the early work suffers the same malady.

Night of the Living Dead - Wikipedia
Night of the Living Dead (1968) - Barbara, Barbara!

Don't Look Now (1973) Original One-Sheet Movie Poster - Original Film Art -  Vintage Movie Posters
Don't Look Now (1973) - Not sure why I included this or what it's about... but Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland!  Wow!

Ghostwatch (TV Movie 1992) - IMDb
Ghost Watch (1992) - Some British cult classic, going to avoid reading much to spoil it.

The Wicker Man - Wikipedia
Wicker Man (1973) - Another unseen horror classic.  Can't wait to watch this, then the Nicholas Cage (2006) remake!  Hopefully this will show me just how creepy the British countryside can be since it's otherwise portrayed as so bucolic.  I knew there was an underside!

The Trip (1967 film) - Wikipedia
A Roger Corman film - I know that name, it's like the guy who preceded John Carpenter or something with out-there science and horror.  I imagine seeing these movies at some Drive-in, getting sentimental about life before the internet made everything free of surprise.  Looks like I should see The Trip (1967) or The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963).  Let's take a trip and hope we get back home...




Comments